Friday, August 9, 2013

Cindy asked if farm raised salmon tastes different from wild caught. I did not know the answer so when I saw both in the fish case at Sam's I bought some of each to try. Some will be grilled while the rest will be smoked on a mini using cherry wood for smoke.

Weather at the start of the cook is about 78° and wind has picked up a bit to 9 mph. The sky is a little cloudy.

The salmon prep was simple to avoid coloring the results. I wanted to see what the difference was. I  seasoned with salt and pepper.

The meat was divided between smoker and grill. Smoking was done with briquettes and some cherry for flavor. Grilling was similar.




timetemp comment
4:44PM 
Salmon on the smoker!
5:12325°Salmon beginning to firm up. Will give it a few more minutes.
5:20 325°Salmon off!


The color of the wild caught salmon was deeper in spite of the coloring added to the farm raised. There is a distinct difference in flavor as well. The wild caught fish had a more robust salmon flavor. Both were good and I have a hard time deciding whether to pay more for wild caught or not.

What to do differently next time: My only disappointment was that I slightly overcooked the grilled salmon. I prefer it a little on the rare side and it was cooked through. It goes so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment