Sunday, October 20, 2013

Double Your Pleasure!

Two new cookers alongside my Performer (for lighting charcoal and providing a work surface.)

I have recently added two new Weber cookers to the stable. One, the 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), I used for the previous cook. The other, a brand new 26.75 One Touch Gold (OTG) I traded for my '85 flat top 26.75 OTS is being used for the first time. I cast about for what I could do first on the 26 and decided that rather than do something spectacularly big, I would just make a lot of food, taking advantage of the real estate. I recently saw a variation of Hasselback potatoes done in a cast iron pan and selected that for one vegetable. Last night on Primal Grill, Raichlen roasted Brussels sprouts in a cast iron pan over charcoal. When we spotted Brussels sprouts at Sam's, grabbing them was a no brainer. I might grill some yellow squash too. The vegetables will accompany a couple ribeyes and some shrimp that will go on the grill when the veggies are nearly done.


Veggies on the 26.75 kettle.

While at Sam's, I pointed to some chuck roast and mentioned that that's what I use to make Pepper Stout Beef. SWMBO made me get that as well, reminding me that she still needs to eat while I'm out of town on an upcoming fishing trip. I will smoke the chuck roast (two 2" thick pieces) on the little WSM while I prepare dinner on the kettle.

Two chuckies on the little WSM
Add caption

We finally made it to 60°F under somewhat cloudy skies and with winds light at about 10 mph.

The potatoes are sliced about 1/4" thick (somewhat tapered to fit better in a circle) and stood on edge around the edge of a #7 Griswold frying pan. Every few slices, I inserted a slice of red or yellow onion. Before adding a liberal amount of EVOO, I garnished with some garlic and fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme. The sprouts went into the lid of my CI Dutch oven. The recipe called for chunks of bacon which I didn't have so I used 1/4-1/2" chunks of ham and some lard rendered from smoked pork butt fat.

As noted, the cooks are being done on the two new cookers. The OTG is fired with two chimneys of Cowboy lump and the WSM with Cowboy lump with chunks of mesquite and oak. the 26 was operated with about 1/4 open on the bottom vent and wide open top. The 14 WSM was started with two of three bottom vents open.

You can stack chimneys.

Mini-chimney on the 14.5 WSM lighting lump, oak and mesquite.
You can gently warm a couple ribeyes for a reverse sear on the WSM.

Ribeyes and shrimp in the barbie!

Dinner is finished and the WSM is still cruising along at 265°F

Chuckie at 165°F and ready to put on the bed of veggies.

Chuckie (for Pepper Stout Beef) on the bed of onions, peppers ...

And closed up for the next part of the cook.


Kettle with veggies and later ribeye and shrimp.
timetemp comment
3:40°Veggies on!
4:20470
5:10450
5:35425Steaks moved from WSM to preheated CI grate on the kettle.
5:40 450Shrimp on.
5:50?
Done!


WSM with chuck roast.
timetemp comment
3:50
Meat on!
4:20240°
5:10265°
5:20265°Stack steaks on the chuck in the WSM.
5:40265°Steaks at 95, moved to hot kettle.
6:16265°Chuck at 157
6:45
Meat at 161/165, put in the DO with the veggies.
7:55280°
8:50245°Opened the third bottom vent and stirred the coals a bit. There are still a few pieces of charcoal left. I could throw a few more pieces from the 26 into the smoker.
9:10245°Added some charcoal from the 26.
10:05???Opened the Dutch oven and found the chuck probe tender. Shredded it and left it uncovered to reduce liquid a little.
10:30280°
10:50
Still had some liquid in it but I took it off the cooker and brought it in.

Steak and shrimp was awesome as were the spuds and sprouts. Weber Kettles Rock!

Everything cooked on the 26 kettle save the green beans.

After a somewhat disappointing first cook on the 14.5 WSM, the second one went w/out a hitch. It seems to run much better on Cowboy lump than RO briquettes. I added some fuel near the end though I'm not sure it was needed. For four hours it cruised along at 265° with two bottom vents open.

Ready to shred.

Ready to serve in all of its warm brown goodness!


Once again I don't really see any problems to solve. At best there might be opportunities for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment